Roasted Tomato Basil Soup2013-06-30
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 50m
- Ready In : 60m
This recipe is adapted from a Barefoot Contessa recipe. I changed it up a bit to fit my taste.
- 5 c. roasted garden beefsteak tomatoes (see recipe for roasting)
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T. unsalted butter
- 3/4 c. chopped yellow onions
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 (28-oz.) canned peeled plum tomatoes, with the juice
- 5 T. fresh basil leaves, chopped (add more if desired)
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 4 c. organic chicken stock
- 1/4 c. heavy cream
- *Optional topping: fresh basil leaves, parmesan cheese and/or croutons
In an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with olive oil, butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Blend in the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock. Add the oven-roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
Blend with an *immersion blender to desired creaminess. Stir in heavy cream. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Serve.
**Top with additional basil, parmesan cheese and/or croutons. Serve.
*If you don't have an immersion blender, partially cool soup and transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer back into pot and heat again for 1-2 minutes. Then follow the rest of the directions above.