Blueberry French Toast – Make Ahead Breakfast2014-02-17
- Servings : 12
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 45m
- Ready In : 0m
This recipe is adapted from a great recipe on the Pioneer Woman website. I changed it up a bit to suit my taste. Except for the bakery bread, this is a clean recipe but definitely a splurge meal.
- CASSEROLE: 1 loaf Crusty Bakery Cibata Bread or French Bread
- 8 whole eggs, cage free
- 2 c. organic whole milk
- 1/2 c. whipping (heavy) cream
- 3/4 c. turbinado or demerara sugar
- 2 T. vanilla extract
- TOPPING: 1/2 c. whole wheat white flour
- 1/2 c. turbinado or demerara sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- a pinch nutmeg
- *1/3 c. chopped pecans or walnuts, *optional
- 2 T. 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 stick cold butter, cut into pieces (I used Kerrygold butter for this)
- 6-8 oz. frozen fresh organic blueberries, about half thawed (I used Cascade Farms)
Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with butter. Tear or cut bread into chunks and evenly distribute in the pan.
In a medium sized bowl mix together eggs, milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla. Pour evenly over the bread. Cover tightly and store in the fridge for several hours or overnight.
In a separate bowl, mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add maple syrup and butter pieces and cut them into the dry mixture until mixture resembles fine pebbles. Store in a Ziploc in the fridge if making ahead of time.
When you're ready to bake the casserole, preheat oven to 350 F. Remove casserole from the fridge, top with blueberries and sprinkle crumb mixture over the top. Bake for 45-50 minutes.
Scoop out individual portions. Drizzle with maple syrup.