Broccoli Cheese Soup2013-06-10
- Servings : 4-5
- Prep Time : 5m
- Cook Time : 45m
- Ready In : 45m
This is the perfect soup to have when it is cold outside.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups organic whole milk
- 2 cups organic chicken stock
- 1/2 pound fresh organic broccoli florets (frozen broccoli works, you just can skip the blanching step)
- 1 cup grated organic carrots
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar
- *optional, add just a few dashes of cayenne pepper for an extra zing
Saute’ onions in oil until lightly golden, set aside. If you are using fresh broccoli, blanch it for 2-3 minutes then drain.
Whisk your butter and flour together in skillet, over medium heat, for about 3 minutes until a roux has formed. Slowly whisk in the milk and then the chicken stock, stirring until completely blended and smooth. Simmer for about 20 minutes over low-medium heat, stirring frequently making sure flame is not too high.
Toss in your carrots, onions and broccoli. Cook until the carrots are tender then add the salt and pepper. Stir in the cheese and nutmeg and continue to cook until the cheese is totally melted and the soup has thicken about 20 minutes. If soup becomes too thick you can add extra milk or chicken broth.
Top with extra cheese and/or whole-wheat croutons and serve.
*The whole milk can be replaced with heavy cream but this will sky rocket the fat content!! Also, 2% can be used but won’t be as rich.