Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas2013-06-21
- Servings : 4-8
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 40m
These are some of the best enchiladas I have ever eaten. Portion control is the key here. Only eat one or two enchiladas with a side salad or veggies and skip the standard fair of chips and salsa. Enjoy.
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 8 8-inch flour tortillas, softened (I tried making the recipe with healthy whole wheat tortillas and it is just not as good)
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat colby jack cheese, grated
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. corn starch or white flour
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth (homemade best)
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- sea salt and cracked pepper to taste (*see note at bottom)
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream (room temp)
- 1/4 cup organic milk (room temp)
- 1/2 (4 ounce) can La Victoria chopped green chilies
- *Before adding salt, remember the shredded chicken in this recipe was cooked in chicken broth which had salt in it. Start light with the amount of salt and taste then add more if needed.)
Mix chicken and 1/2 cup cheese together. Divide mixture evenly between 8 tortillas.
Roll enchiladas and place seam-side down in 9x13" baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with no-stick cooking spray.
Melt butter in a medium saucepan; stir in corn starch/flour to make a roux; stir and cook until bubbly; gradually whisk in chicken broth then bring to boiling, stirring frequently.
Remove from heat; stir in sour cream, milk, seasonings and green chiles; pour sauce evenly over enchiladas.
Top with remaining 1 cup cheese and sprinkle smoked paprika over top (baking dish may be double-wrapped and frozen at this point) and bake at 400 ° for 20 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce near edges of baking dish is bubbly.
Garnish with chopped parsley and/or black olives. (*optional)
I adapted this recipe to my personal preferences, but the original I found at: http://mexican.food.com/recipe/simply-sour-cream-chicken-enchiladas-129926.