Spinach Citrus Salad2013-03-24
- Servings : 3-4
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
I topped this salad with my Honey Teriyaki Salmon. Also, I substituted walnuts for the quinoa, either work great. Remember if you choose quinoa, it is best to rinse it before you cook it.
- 3-4 big handfuls of fresh baby spinach
- 1-2 ruby red grapefruits, peeled and fruit separated, reserving 3 slices (number depends on size and juiceness)
- 1 large haas avocado, diced
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (1/3 cup dry) or you can substitute 3/4 c. walnuts if you prefer
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1/16-1/8 tsp. onion powder (as per personal taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- grapefruit juice from 3 reserved slices of grapefruit
Rinse quinoa well under cold water and cook according to package directions. Drain and let it cool.
Peel the skin and white membrane off the grapefruit and separate the pieces. Reserve three grapefruit slices for the vinaigrette and squeeze the juice; set aside. Cut up the remaining grapefruit into small pieces for the salad.
In a medium bowl whisk the olive oil, grapefruit juice (from 3 slices of grapefruit), vinegar, onion powder, salt and pepper.
In a large bowl toss spinach, quinoa, avocado, grapefruit and vinaigrette. Serve.
*I usually top this salad with my Honey Teriyaki Salmon. The salad recipe is adapted from a recipe on the Skinnytaste website. Great site for clean eating.