Gourmet Frito Pie2013-10-01
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 55m
- Ready In : 1:10 h
Talk about comfort soups, this one is it; it also tastes great the following day.
- 1 lb. ground bison
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 4 c. organic beef stock
- 1 can (28 oz.) Muir Glen Fire Roasted organic diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 cans (15 oz.) organic pinto beans with juice
- 1 T dried oregano (Mexican works best)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 T ground ancho chile powder
- 1 T chile powder (New Mexico chili powder)
- salt and pepper
- Toppings: Mexican Blend Grated Cheese, organic if possible (I used full strength, but low-fat would work just fine)
- Organic Sour Cream (I used full strength, but low-fat would work just fine)
- Avocado slices (remember these babies are packy with fat that is good for your body!)
- *Optional Fritos - this is not in the clean category but they really add a great crunch. Just use in moderation.
Heat 1 tsp. olive oil in stock pot, add bison and cook until no pink remains. Remove bison from pot and set aside.
Saute onions and garlic in stock pot with 1 tsp. olive oil until translucent. Add bison back into the pot with the rest of the ingredients and spices.
Let soup simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water if soup begins to get too thick. Ladle in bowls and top with favorite toppings.